[FR] Mata Hari (PC)

Venez discuter de vos jeux d'aventure préférés !
Londeau-Lune
Aventurier d'exception
Aventurier d'exception

Re: [News] Mata Hari

Message par Londeau-Lune »

Hal Barwood - Mata Hari interview
By Marek Bronstring Published September 14, 2007

Hal Barwood un des concepteurs de Mata-Hari
interviewé par Marek Bronstring - première publication le 14 septembre 2007

"We wanted to have elements that feel dynamic, that make you feel that your experience is 'my experience'."

"Nous voulons avoir des éléments qui se ressentent comme dynamiques, qui vous donneront l'impression que cette expérience est la vôtre"

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is, to this day, still considered one of the finest adventure games ever made. The globe-trotting adventure gave players the choice between three parallel paths, each with an emphasis on different gameplay, interspersing challenging puzzles with point-and-click minigames involving fistfights, balloon rides and car chases. Fate of Atlantis continues to pop up in many 'best of' lists and was featured at number six in our very own Top 20 Adventure Games of All Time (published in 2002).

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis est, à ce jour, encore considéré comme un des meilleurs jeux d'aventures jamais créés. L'aventure, qui se déroule en plusieurs points du globe, donnait aux joueurs le choix entre trois cheminements de jeu parallèles, dont chacun avait son propre gameplay, ses propres enigmes et mini-jeux (bagarre, maniement de dirigeable et course poursuite en voiture). Fate of Atlantis continue de sortir dans les top-cinquante du jeu d'aventure ; il arrivait même sixième sur notre propre Top20 des meilleurs jeux d'aventure de tous les temps publié en 2002.

Alas, its co-creators Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein did not continue to make adventure games at LucasArts; both of them left the company to set up their own game design consulting firms. Now, fifteen years after the release of Fate of Atlantis, German publisher dtp is bringing Falstein and Barwood back for a whole new project: the espionage adventure Mata Hari. The game was prominently featured at this year's Games Convention in Leipzig, where we were able to get some first hands-on impressions. While Mata Hari reminded us in some ways of the classic games of yore, it also showed no signs of being stuck in the past, incorporating many interface evolutions and unique puzzle mechanics.

Hélas, ses co-créateurs Hal Berwood et Noah Falstein ont cessé derrière de faire des jeux pour LucasArt : tous deux sont partis pour fonder leur propre société de conseil en design de jeu vidéo. Aujourd'hui, quinze années après la sortie de cet opus d'Indiana Jones, l'éditeur de jeu allemand DTP ramène Falstein et Barwood sur le devant de la scène avec un tout nouveau projet : une aventure d'espionnage sur de Mata Hari? Le jeu a été pas mal révélé au cous de l'édition 2007 de la game convention de Leipzig, où nous avons pu obtenir quelques impressions de première main. Alors que Mata Hari nous rappelle sous bien des aspects les grand classiques du jeu d'aventure, il reste résolument innovant en intégrant beaucoup des évolutions en matière de gameplay et une mécanisme de résolution d'énigme plutôt unique.

This is the interview we did at the dtp booth after seeing a demo of Mata Hari, in which Hal Barwood further explains the unique concepts underlying its inventory, how the game tracks players' scores, and much more. (It is recommended that you read our Mata Hari preview before continuing with this interview.)

Ceci est l'interview que nous avons pu réaliser chez DTP après avoir vu une demo de Mata Hari, dans laquelle Hal Barwood nous en dit un plus long sur le système d'inventaire, sur le système de points du joueur et bien plus encore. (Il vous est vivement recommandé de lire notre prévue du jeu avant de poursuivre avec cette entrevue)

AdventureGamers.com: Mata Hari has an interesting interface, particularly with regards to its multi-purpose inventory. What are the different types of objects that the inventory can contain?

Mata Hari a une interface intéressante, particulièrement quant à l'inventaire aux multiples usages. Quels sont les différents types d'objets qu'il peut contenir ?

Hal Barwood: There are actually two categories: actual objects and abstract concepts. Let's see if I can pick up an object to show you. [Picks up an object in the game.]

On en trouve de deux catégories ; les véritables objets et des concepts abstraits. Voyons si je peux ramasser un objet pour vous montrer [et c'est ce qu'il fait].

I noticed that icons in the inventory can have three different colors.

J'ai remarqué que les icônes d'inventaires peuvent avoir trois couleurs différentes.

Yes, but there will be more than that. The colors are a vague form of identification that just help you sort in your mind what's going on. These tokens [inventory objects] start stacking up and tooltips will reveal exactly what they are about. But we want them to still function like real icons. They always start to suggest the ideas behind them.

Oui, mais au final ce sera plus élaboré que cela. Les couleurs ne sont qu'un vague aperçu d'un process plus élaboré d'identification qui vous permettra de catégoriser les items. Cette symbolique [des objets d'inventaire] donnera autant d'indices que descriptifs à propos desdits objets. Cependant nous souhaitons encore les voir fonctionner comme de véritables icônes. Elles initieront toujours un semblant d'idée quant à leur usage.

The colors will probably be different in the final game, but the red ones are separated from the blue ones and the idea of the red ones is that they're sort of the tasks you need to do. [Points to the next set of colored icons.] And these are your arsenal of ideas. They get more complicated as you go along. [Points to the final set of icons.] And these are solid objects.

Les couleurs ne seront sans doute pas les mêmes dans la version finale, mais les rouges sont effectivement différentes des bleues ; les rouges sont pour les tâches que le joueurs doit accomplir [Il nous montre l'autre assortiment d'icônes de couleur]. Celles-ci seront votre arsenal d'idées. Elles se compliquent à mesure de la progression. [il nous montre un dernier assortiment d'icônes colorées] Celles-ci sont des objets solides.

The icons will probably be further colored. For example, there can be travel tokens. You can go to four cities. You start in Paris where a lot of the game happens, but eventually you go to Berlin, Monaco and Madrid. There are minigames you have to play along the way to travel. But in order to travel, you need a character to tell you "go to Berlin" and then you get the Berlin token. So in Paris you can go out into the street and find a taxi and if you use the travel token, Mata Hari will say "take me to the train station". At the train station, you can use the same token on the ticket guy to go to Berlin. So the core meaning hasn't really changed — I'm traveling to my destination — but the specifics are actually kind of fluid. We think this is a really interesting advance in the way you structure the controls of an adventure game.

Les icônes seront sans doute plus que colorées. Elles peuvent par exemple servir à voyager. Vous pouvez vous rendre dans quatre villes. On commence par Paris, où une grosse partie du jeu se déroule, mais on finira aussi par aller à Berlin, Monaco et Madrid. Il y a des mini-jeux auxquels vous pourrez jouer le temps que durent ces voyages. Mais, pour pouvoir partir, un personnage devra vous dire : "allez à Berlin" : à ce moment là l'icône "Berlin" apparaîtra. Ainsi, dans une rue de Paris vous pouvez prendre un taxi ; si vous utilisez l'icône "Berlin" alors Mata Hari dira au chauffeur "Emmenez-moi à la gare". A la gare, vous devrez vous servir de nouveau de cette même icône pour vous rendre à Berlin. le sens fondamentale n'a pas changé - Je voyage vers ma destination - mais les détails qui le permettent en deviennent plus fluides. Nous pensons que c'est une façon intéressante de gérer les contrôles dans un jeu d'aventure.

It appears to simplify the controls while making the underlying metaphors richer.

Cela semble être une façon de simplifier le gameplay tout en l'enrichissant.

Yeah. And we can always do combinations within the inventory. We can even assemble ideas in there. It's pretty cool. So I think this is going to be a little bit different for adventure gamers. I know they are possibly the most conservative of all game players — of all the orangutans who are skeptical of changes in their cages (laughs) — they really don't want any changes at all.

Oui. Et nous pouvons toujours faire des combinaisons au niveau de l'inventaire. On peut même "assembler" des idées ainsi : c'est plutôt cool. Je pense que ça va faire un peu la différence pour les joueurs de jeux d'aventure. Je sais qu'ils sont de loin les joueurs les plus conservateur - de tous les orng-outangs qui sont sceptiques lorsqu'on veut les changer de cages (rires) - ils détestent le changement quelqu'il soit.

In this work-in-progress scene, Mata Hari has to gather compliments from different characters, so that one of them will vouch for her to her dance manager
Dans cette scène tirée du jeu, Mata Hari doit recueillir les compliments de différents personnages, pour que l'un d'entre eux témoigne pour elle auprès de son directeur artistique

Maybe I shouldn't quote you on that, or they'll come after you with torches and pitchforks.

Peut-être ne devrais-je pas rapporter ces propos, sinon ils vous retrouveront armés de torches et de fourches...

I know they will. I mean, I'm one of them, so I understand it. But we think this is something people will catch onto pretty quick and love. What I like about it is that in addition to streamlining the conversations and unifying them with everything else, dealing with a person becomes just like object manipulation. [Hal demonstrates a typical inventory puzzle]. I'm puzzling right now, I'm puzzling with objects. And, well, that kind of manipulation — everyone is familiar with being active when you do that. You apply things to other things and see what goes on. In Mata Hari you do exactly the same in conversations so it feels very lively. It feels very much like being an active participant in the game as you try things on people in the same way you try things on other objects. So we're pretty excited.

Je sais qu'ils le feront. Je veux dire que je suis un joueur moi aussi, donc je ferais pareil. Mais nous pensons que c'est un élément dont les gens s'approprieront facilement, et adoreront. Ce que j'aime à son propos, au delà d'étoffer les conversations et de les unifier, c'est que gérer un personnage non joueur devient aussi simple que manipuler un objet. [Hal montre à l'écran une énigme d'inventaire typique]. Je suis en train de le faire, de le faire avec des objets. Et, en fait, ce type de manipulation, tout le monde a l'habitude de les voir devenir actives lorsque vous faites quelque chose comme cela. Vous appliquez un objet sur un autre pour voir ce que cela donne. Dans Mata Hari, vous faites exactement la même chose avec les conversations, ce qui les rend très vivantes. On se sent comme un participant actif dans le jeu dans la mesure où où on peut essayer des choses sur des personnages, de la même façon qu'on peut essayer des choses sur des objets. Nous en sommes très contents.

What is it like going back to an old school adventure game having worked on action-adventures for many years? And Noah has worked or consulted on games of many different genres.

Qu'est-ce que cela fait, de revenir à un jeu d'aventure traditionnel, après avoir travaillé tant d'années sur des jeux d'action/aventure?

I haven't made a pure adventure game in fifteen years because, as you know very well, the market kind of fell out in the United States for this sort of thing and everybody stopped building them. And now they are making a comeback. We're fond of them, I think they have a very... (ponders for a while)... I like two things about them very much. The first one is that they are story-driven. That means actual character counts and the details of a story really mean something in an adventure game. I'm a storyteller at heart, so I like that very much. I also like the fact that there's something clean and whole and entire about an adventure game. It doesn't feel messy to me. It feels like a wonderful capsule of experience, like you would experience a book. It has a certain dimension that gets me involved [as a player] and when I go away it feels like I still know all about it and I feel attached to it. Whereas a lot of games are just very frustrating and I eventually give up. So I like that feeling too. I hope to do more of it.

Je n'ai pas fait de jeu d'aventure pure depuis quinze ans parce que, ainsi que vous ne l'ignorez pas, le marché semblait avoir disparu aux Etats Unis pour ce genre de chose, et tout le monde a cessé d'en produire. Ils reveinnent aujourd'hui en force. Nous adorons pourtant ce style ; je pense qu'ils ont... [il réfléchit un instant]... J'aime beaucoup deux choses à leur sujet. D'abord ils sont scénarisés. Cela signifie que les personnages ont leur importance, mais aussi que les détails ont leur signification. Ayant l'âme d'un conteur d'histoire, donc j'apprécie énormément cet aspect des choses. J'aime aussi qu'il y ait quelque chose de propre, d'entier, dans un jeu d'aventure. Cela ne me paraît jamais confus. Cela ressemble un peu à une merveilleuse expérience, comme vous vivez un livre. Ils ont une certaine profondeur qui me happe [en tant que joueur] ; lorsque je m'en éloigne, j'ai l'impression de ne pas les quitter ; je m'y sens attaché. Quand bien même pas mal de jeux sont très frustrants et je finis par les abandonner, éventuellement. C'est cette sensation que j'aime aussi. J'espère que je la restitue dans mes jeux, cette sensation.

Mata Hari has just succesfully, umm, distracted her target. Now she must snoop around the room to find the information she needs.

Mata Hari vient juste de parvenir à mmmh... Distraire sa cible. Elle doit à présent fouiller la chambre pour obtenir les informations dont elle a besoin

Given your strong storytelling angle, how do you feel about puzzles, especially in a time when people can easily find solutions on the internet?

Vu de votre point de vue de scénariste, que ressentez-vous concernant les énigmes, tout particulièrement à présent que les gens peuvent aisément trouver leurs solutions sur internet
?

Yeah, GameFaqs.com huh? (laughs). I still think we should do puzzles because they are essential. But I'll say something: modern adventure games are built with budgets that are relatively constrained compared to what they were fifteen years ago. We can't do the three paths that I did in Indiana Jones, or all these elaborate locations — we had 120 locations in Fate of Atlantis and we can't do that anymore.

Ouais... Ausecoursj'yarrivepas.com, hein ? (rires) Je continue à penser que les énigmes sont indispensables et que nous devons continuer à en créer. Mais je dois dire quelque chose : les jeux d'aventure d'aujourd'hui sont réalisés avec des budgets relativement limités par rapport à ce que nous avons connu il y a quinze ans. Nous n'avons pas les moyens de refaire quelque chose comme sur Indiana Jones, avec trois cheminements, ou tous ces décors élaborés - on avait 120 lieux à explorer sur Fate of Atlantis : on ne peut plus faire ça, de nos jours

One of the things we're doing in Mata Hari is that we have these sort of sidequests. They're little low-grade ministories that you can play. And we score the players. There are three different scoring systems we keep track of. There's spycraft, which is: are you alert to all the other spying possibilities and do you take advantage of them? We also track your wealth and then we also track skill. We'll be aware of whether you solve a puzzle easily or whether you did a lot of back and fro-ing or a lot of time spent or a lot of wrong answers. We'll score you on it so you're aware of how you're doing in the game. And for the completists of the world, who want to really get into the game and really really delve, we have some material that allows them to do that.

Une des choses que nous faisons sur Mata Hari, ce sont ces quêtes secondaires. Ce sont un peu des mini-histoires auxquelles on peut jouer. Et nous évaluons les joueurs. Il y a trois systèmes de comptage de point sur lesquels nous travaillons. Il y a le niveau d'espionage : êtes vous au courant de toutes les possibilité d'espionnage, pour prendre l'avantage ? Le jeu vérifie aussi votre niveau de richesse, mais aussi l'évolution de votre adresse. Nous sommes conscients que certains résolveront les énigmes avec beaucoup d'aisance, d'autres arrêteront et reprendront souvent le jeu ; d'autres y passeront beaucoup de temps ou donneront beaucoup de mauvaises réponses. Et pour tous les jusqu'auboutistes du monde, ceux qui veulent vraiment entrer dans le jeu et s'y immerger, nous avons prévu des choses le permettant.

Mata Hari is a dancer, so one of the minigames that you can repeat is dancing. I guess adventure gamers will go "ooh that's really hard, I don't know if I can do that", but I think you can. You don't need a dancepad (laughs). But it's a game and it's rhythmic so you do actually have to... do stuff. Some of the dancing is to solve puzzles, like to convince your dance manager. But he doesn't want your dancing to get stale, so if you danced already you must find another "inspiration" to dance. You run around the world finding things you can turn into dance moves. Then you can go back and dance and make money, which you can do voluntarily in addition to the puzzle solving.

Mata Hari était une danseuse ; un des mini-jeux proposés que l'on peut recommencer c'est la danse. Je suppose que des joueurs de jeux d'aventure diront : "Oh ! C'est vraiment dur, je ne sais pas si je vais passer l'épreuve" ; mais je crois que c'est possible. Vous n'avez pas besoin d'un e interface de danse. (rires). Mais c'est un jeu , et c'est effectivement rythmique, et donc vous devez... Eh bien faire des choses. La danse fait partie de certaines énigmes, comme lorsque vous devez convaincre votre impresario. Mais il ne veut pas que votre danse soit banale, donc si vous avez déjà danser, il vous faudra trouver une nouvelle source d'inspiration pour guider vos pas. Vous parcourez le monde entier, pour trouver des choses dont vous pouvez vous inspirer pour vos pas. Du coup, en revenant à l'épreuve, vous pouvez danser, et ganger de l'argent, en plus de résoudre l'énigme.

Article continues on the next page...

L'article continue sur la page suivante...
SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS
Epok
Ange gardien de PA
Ange gardien de PA

Message par Epok »

Je ne pensais pas qu'il était si loin ce topic ! Le site officiel est ouvert ! Je sais ! Anglais ou allemand..Arffff mais il est joli tout plein. :sh:
Londeau-Lune
Aventurier d'exception
Aventurier d'exception

Message par Londeau-Lune »

Hal Barwood - Mata Hari interview
By Marek Bronstring Published September 14, 2007

In addition to that, our minigames are — well, you asked about puzzles and how you can go online and solve them — a lot of puzzles are actually redoable. I'll give you an example. We have a travel game where there's six pairs of cities you can travel between, some of them much harder than others, but in every case you're trying to get from one city down a set of tracks that you can choose to another city. There are agents working at the various stations and they're following you. If they actually catch up with you, they set you back to the beginning.

En plus de cal, nos mini-jeu sont _ Eh bien vous posiez la question des énigmes, à propos de la façon dont on peut aller en ligne trouver des solutions - il est possible de refaire beaucoup d'énigmes. Je vais vous donner un exemple. Il y a un jeu de voyage, où on peut louvoyer entre six cités associées en paires ; quelques unes sont plus difficiles que d'autres

Some of the nodes of the cities you go through to your destination are blocked or out of order, which changes from trip to trip. The overall idea is always the same but the actual tactics you're going to have to use will be different each time. You'll gradually get what are basically power ups. For instance, marking nodes as safe havens will prevent agents from going there. If you pick the right one, it's very helpful to get through. Then you can get express tickets, which give you an extra turn. If I play that in the wrong spot, it won't do me any good. But if I'm careful where I put that, and then I start my travels, I will be able to beat the agents. It gradually gets harder. First it's one agent, then two, then three. It's turn-based, it's sort of a... semi-actual game. It takes moves and yet it's very puzzley. Every time you look at it, it's a new puzzle.

We wanted to have elements that feel dynamic, that make you feel that your experience is 'my experience'.

It is a pure adventure game, correct? There's no action in it — or at least, not any obligatory action?

The only obligatory action is that — in a low-grade, fairly easy way — you have to master some rhythmic stuff when you are dancing. It will be fine. We hope it will be fun. And there are a number of other minigames.

The early 20th century was a time of rapid technological change and advancement just like now. Things like airplanes, radios, and telephones were still very new — and they were all tools and objects of spying. So you have to learn how to use a telephone in the game and of course there are decoding minigames in which you have to decode messages. That's another set of minigames. I think they'll all be a little different for players.

Mata Hari's outside environments have an almost painterly look. In the final version, the clouds will be moving and there'll be birds flying around.
Sounds interesting. So who came up with the premise of the game? Did dtp develop it?

Here's how it worked. I got an e-mail saying: would you maybe like to do a game with us? So I met with a guy named Marc Buro, he's a producer at ftp. Marc met me at E3 and said, "we wanna do this spy game". He was reluctant to tell me who it was really about, but eventually he said, "Mata Hari". He also approached Noah, my co-designer from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but I don't think he knew we were friends.

The last time Noah and I really collaborated was on Fate of Atlantis, but we've been friends for twenty years. We live about five miles apart in Marin County, California. When Noah and I were comparing notes we realized [that dtp had contacted them both], so we said, let's see if they want to do it with us together. We went back to them and they thought it was a good idea. So the original idea was not that complicated. It's "Mata Hari spying". That's what they came to us with. We cooked up the design around the story, and fleshed that out into a full game design, and now we're writing the dialog for it.

It's interesting that you're co-developing it in America with 4Head Studios in Germany. The distance between you and the developers must be a challenge.

Well, only that your ears fall off from using a Skype headset all day. A lot of the design and a lot of their work goes up on a wiki. I've got a couple of machines at home: I've got the wiki up on one and I'm running skype on my other one, so we have conferences with the producer and the guys at 4Head, and with Noah down the road. We might spend hours talking online. It's pretty active and this is also my fourth trip over to Germany. So we get to talk a bit face-to-face and be in the same timezone, but that's pretty rare.

Okay, I've got to ask you: do you ever get sick of people asking you questions about Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis? I always wondered that, because ... I mean, do you mind people still bringing up things like the three paths after so many years?

(laughs) No, I'm very flattered. Listen, I had one of the greatest days of my life yesterday. I had to go over to the ANACONDA booth, which is the German brand dtp uses. I'm over there telling about the game and there was going to be this whole signing thing. So we go over and we're doing it. And ... look, I am so cool, that the booth babes wanted to have their picture taken with me. (laughs) I was like, "wow, this is the opposite of geekdom!". Anyway, I'm not at all bothered about it.

It's great that a lot of former LucasArts designers have gone back to making adventures.

Many fans showed up at dtp's public booth at Games Convention to take a picture with the Fate of Atlantis creator, or to get their copy of the game signed.
Yeah, there's quite a few of us. Bill Tiller is doing A Vampyre Story with Crimson Cow, Dave Grossman is busy doing Sam & Max at Telltale and — Ron's game is going to be more of an RPG, I think. It's an idea that's been in his head for many years.

Anyway, it's nice because I think Germany is sort of leading the way back.

Yes, it's quite remarkable how many German publishers here at GC are publishing adventure games.

I hope it doesn't lead to a collapse. I would guess the biggest threat to Mata Hari would actually be games like Memento Mori or Gray Matter , or whatever games are going to be next.

Right. Although you'd hope that the games also gradually expand the audience, with new people discovering the genre.

One of the things that killed the genre was that — well, back in the day that Fate of Atlantis came out, the genre was alive and well and Indiana Jones fit into that. But the truth is, that game was more in your head than it was on the screen. The Jones character was fifty pixels tall and was just this little guy running around the screen. It was the very first game LucasArts ever published with 256 colors — that was like, "wow!". It was hard to feel that it was truly an engaging experience. Now we've got all this beautiful art, and I think that's part of it. You can say "this is a character" now [points to characters on screen] and people will say "yeah, it really is". I think that's going to help lead the way back.

What do you think about the DS and the Wii?

I don't know about the Wii. It's true that the Wii has a broader base in general than consoles usually do, and Nintendo is very clever with that, but the DS is the way to go. Everybody has got them, and I know especially — at least in America — I have a lot of female friends who have DSes.

Yeah, same for me.

And a lot of games that are prominent on the DS are kind of thinking games. Brain Training games especially, but also Sudoku and Picross are all coming out on DS.

It turns out that there's another connection that runs through casual games. I don't know what it's like here but in America it's a huge phenomenon. I guess the term is silver gamers. There's just a lot of older people who have discovered that they like to play these games. I think that's a connection and the next step from there is adventure games. That builds an audience for us too.

And with that, our chat came to an end, as a camera crew that had been busily setting up their gear at the dtp booth was now ready for their turn to interview Hal. Mata Hari is set for release Q1 2008 in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, and later in 2008 for other territories, and we'll continue to keep an eye on this promising title.
SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS
Epok
Ange gardien de PA
Ange gardien de PA

Message par Epok »

Dans mes petites recherches, j'ai vu que Mata Hari serait distribué par Eidos avec une sortie française le 21 novembre. :sh:
Epok
Ange gardien de PA
Ange gardien de PA

Message par Epok »

Si vous voulez vraiment voir la bande-annonce, sur le site dans la new, il y a un problème sur le lien, pas la peine, donc je vous le remets ici et je vais faire un petit tour parce que ça m'agace quand je me plante !!! :explode: :D
Epok
Ange gardien de PA
Ange gardien de PA

Message par Epok »

Euh...C'est un nouveau genre jeu d'aventure ? Au moins, on est sûr de pas le chercher dans la section enfant celui là ! C'est la couverture ! :)